Why you want a physical therapist to help you treat injuries from a T-bone accident

t-bone accident

A T-bone accident is a particularly nasty kind of car accident that can cause serious damage to the passengers involved. During a T-bone accident, one vehicle strikes another in the side, forming the shape of a T. Because of the violent and sudden impact of the collision, injuries are often common with this type of accident. 

The most common injuries associated with a T-bone accident include:

  • Whiplash.
  • Concussion.
  • Contusion.
  • Torn ligaments/tendons.

If you have suffered any of these injuries, you should seek treatment from a physical therapist. While a doctor can diagnose these conditions, you will likely be recommended for ongoing treatment with a physical therapist to treat the lasting symptoms of whiplash, damaged ligaments and tendons, and severe bruising. 

How does a physical therapist treat T-bone accident injuries?

There are many methods of physical therapy that can help treat the injuries you’ve sustained from an auto accident. The first thing you’ll do with your physical therapist is run through a series of diagnostics tests that will help determine the severity of your injuries. After that, you’ll decide on the best treatment plan together to fit your lifestyle and your recovery goals. 

Common physical therapy treatments for T-bone accidents include:

  • Instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization (IASTM) IASTM helps restore damaged soft tissue and ligaments, usually caused by abrupt and forceful movement. This can also help relieve tension in the neck and shoulders from whiplash and concussions.
  • Manual therapy Manual therapy helps to improve range of motion and strength throughout the musculoskeletal system. This treatment can also help reduce swelling and inflammation. 
  • TENS therapy TENS therapy helps to relieve pain and swelling in the muscles, as well as speed up recovery from injury.
  • Therapeutic exercises Guided exercises and stretches will help to strengthen the muscles and joints in the body that may have been damaged during the accident.

If you have been involved in a T-bone accident and you have ongoing injuries and pain from the collision, you should seek treatment from a physical therapist. Washington state offers direct access physical therapy, which means you no longer need a physician’s referral to see a physical therapist. Contact our office at Whatcom Physical Therapy today to learn more about treatment options available to you and to schedule a free screening.